As a Christian, dating can be both a blessing and a curse. The idea of dating with a purpose is something that is often discussed in Christian communities. One thing that is crucial to understanding when learning to effectively date as a Christian, is to understand that anyone who you connect yourself to on a personal level will play a part in how you maintain your relationship with the Lord.
People can either distract you or help push you closer to Christ. As a Christian it is important to understand what God expects out of a relationship. In Genesis 2:18 God specifically states that women are created to be helpmates. This suggests that in a relationship, a woman is supposed to help fulfill the purpose of the man, who is the visionary and the person God has created to be the lead.
Dating as a Christian can be hard because societal dating norms do not necessarily line up with living a Christian lifestyle. Here are some things to remember when seeking to date a Christian.
1. You and your partner should not be unequally yoked. 2 Corinthians 6:14 explains that one should not connect with someone who is not a believer.
2. You and your partner should have the common goal of living for Christ. In a relationship where both parties are seeking to please the Lord daily, there will be less room for things that establish unhealthy relationships, such as cheating or lying.
3. In your relationship constantly seek to follow the word of God. You and your partner should be holding each other accountable while encouraging each other in your walk with Christ.
4. Save the marriage stuff, for the marriage. Simply stated, never awake love before it is time. Do not get too serious too soon. Allow God to lead and direct you.
5. Understand that only God can change people. When dating, always remember that God changes people and that people will only change when they desire to allow God to change them. Save yourself from hurt that can come along with dating by not trying to change anyone. If you don't like something about the person and it is not something that you are willing to compromise on, don't force the relationship. Always ask yourself, if this person never changes, will I still want to be with them? Remember that the ultimate goal is to get to marriage and that means being with the person for a lifetime.
6. Know who you are and whose you are. When you know who you are in Christ, and what your purpose is in His earthly kingdom you will be less likely to get caught up in worldly dating.
7. Do not be afraid to say no. As a Christian you will have to choose daily to be different than the rest of the world in dating relationships. Say no to the world and yes to Christ daily.
8. Most of all, when dating as a Christian, learn to love the way that God loves. Be forgiving, patient, and love unconditionally. Treat your partner the way that you want to be treated. Say encouraging things. Love each other, and above all else guard your heart because everything you do flows from it.